Sunday 11 November 2012

My Proposal for Parkside Rd (Wimbledon Common)

Proposed Cycle Path Improvements on Parkside Rd (Wimbledon Common)


My wife and myself often cycle to SouthWest London Vineyard church in Southfields on Sundays, and our route takes us along the Parkside Rd in Wimbledon.

This route is quite scary for a novice cylist like my wife and requires quite a bit a courage to cycle on. It's a wide road with a large painted central reservation. Cars overtake quite close and they struggle to keep to 30 mph as a lot of the traffic seems to not stop much along it between Wimbledon and Putney, as it borders Wimbledon Common. Oddly enough, there is no provision for cyclists at all along this essential route in South West London.

I therefore redesigned the road with  Google Sketchup and I shall be submitting this to both Merton and Wandsworth councils (theyt jointly share Parkside Rd). My plans include 2 wide cyle paths, segregated by a 500mm wide barrier, in brick paving, a pedestrian walkways, narrower car lanes, width restricters in the car lanes, and a cycle/pedestrian crossing point with a 1m wide, 50mm high speed hump on either side.

I have submitted my proposals to Merton Council on 15/11/12. 



No comments:

Post a Comment